Friday, May 27, 2011

Last blog post EVER

After careful and tedious math, it has been determined that over this past semster, I have read 2745 pages total in etymology. Most of these were pop fiction, but I had four plays that were literary fiction.
A lot of books i read this semester will be classified as my favorite books such as Divergent and Matched. Usually when I sat down to read these books, I couldn't stop so I took it everywhere. If i had a free moment i would read. If we went out to lunch and none of my family was talking, i thought that was a que for me to pick up my book. the only downside to this was, i really can't read with any background noise. I don't read with music, i can hardly read with birds chirping outside, but i found that when reading these books, it really didn't matter because they enticed me so much. if you are really interested in a book, nothing will distract you. the other day when i was finishing Divergent, i was reading it for 9 hours after school. typically, my phone is always next to me, but when i got home, i left it in my book bag and just sat down to read. finally after like seven hours i realized that i didn't have it and i found that my best friend had called me like 3 times. THE POWER OF BOOKS.
At the beginning of the semester, i really didn't know anything about poetry. i mean, i liked it when i found poems i liked. i wanted to like it. i wanted to be a poet. i wanted to be one of those people who carried around a poetry book or a journal and wrote their feelings. i wanted to be a hipster. I am not a hipster lol. but i do have a new appreciation for poetry. i have a new book of poems that i love and words that describe everything i feel. 
Usually in english you learn to take apart the poetry you read and don't really get the full feeling of it because you are too busy depicting it and finding literary terms. in this class, that isn't even necessary. even though you have to write about it, you more have to write about the impact it made on you than  the technical aspect. throughout this whole semester i have found so many poems that i have loved. i have made my family read them, my friends, everyone. I would have to say, my favorite poem this year that all i can do is relate to is "The Friend" by Marge Piercy. it speaks volumes with such fierce intensity. i love it. here it is:

The friend

By Marge Piercy 
We sat across the table.
he said, cut off your hands.
they are always poking at things.
they might touch me.
I said yes.

Food grew cold on the table.
he said, burn your body.
it is not clean and smells like sex.
it rubs my mind sore.
I said yes.

I love you, I said.
That’s very nice, he said
I like to be loved,
that makes me happy.
Have you cut off your hands yet?
.
.
So Long Etymology
Love, Cheyenne

No comments:

Post a Comment